Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Pictures from Sarapiquí

Hello all! I am finally getting around to posting pictures from the group excursion the first weekend.

Ok, well this picture is not from the excursion, but this was from one of the days my host mom took me to orientation. We were walking with a few other students and their host moms when we passed KFC. Without hesitation, my host mom sat down right next to the colonel and snuggled up, prompting me to take a picture. Then later that evening, she urged me to show the rest of the family. Yeah, she's pretty cool.

I have to admit I was a little worried about my host family before I came. Nothing having to do with them specifically, scary ideas like them not liking me or them being super crazy and the like. I must say, though. I was definitely pleasantly surprised. My host mom is so great and even though my host dad works during the day and I don't see much of him, he is still really nice and accommodating. Also, my host siblings are great. I have a 30 year old brother, and 28 year old sister, and a 16 year old brother who all live in the house. They all speak English which is really convenient when I don't know how to say something in Spanish, but also really dangerous because sometimes I will start speaking in English to them.

These are some pictures from the first place we stayed at in Sarapiquí. The river was just down to the right of this area. One of my favorite things about Costa Rica is the scenery. Obviously, it's beautiful out here, but it is also like this in unexpected places. For example, When I am sitting in Spanish class on Monday and Wednesday mornings, I can't help but stare out the window sometimes because it looks like a rain forest right outside. In the united states, you have to go to a wildlife preserve or a national park to see things like this. Here, all you have to do is look out the window.


Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment