Monday, November 1, 2010

Coffee Gira

Oh hey.

On Saturday the 9th, my Spanish class and the other took a joint field trip to Santa María de Dota, a coffee plantation south of San José. I was a bit tired because I went out the night before with my host sister, China, but otherwise it was a fun trip. First we toured the coffee plantation and learned all about how it is grown and roasted. The pictures below are of coffee beans before they are roasted and the roasting process.
Then a few baristas made different types of drinks and let us taste them. There were hot drinks, cold drinks, drinks with different flavors, all of them. Mmm coffee. My favorite ones to look at were the ones with the designs made by the barista by pouring milk or cream in a certain way.


Then we went to an organic coffee plantation nearby. The fields covered the mountains all around and the view from the path of our tour was breathtaking.

Our tour guide was slightly crazy, but he was so passionate about the things about which he spoke, that it was hard not to be interested. He talked a bit about the treatment of indigenous peoples, and we met some of the ones working and living on his plantation.



I know this post is lacking in explanation, and I know you all must be quite sad from the lack of witty comments on my part, but I promise I will get back to it soon. First I have to deal with these finals.

Ciao.

No comments:

Post a Comment