Monday, November 1, 2010

Sissy's Visit

Hello all!

Long time. I have a lot of updating to do since the last time I posted. So, I’ll start with my sister’s visit.

On Tuesday, September 14th, my sister came to visit after a few days at home after her Peace Corps adventure in Benin was over. It was a lucky coincidence that her trip coincided with the Costa Rican Independence Day, which was the day after she arrived. After I picked her up at the airport, we went back to my host family’s house where my Mama Tica had a ridiculously delicious lunch prepared for us, then we checked into a hostel just a few bus stops away from my house. That night the Independence Day festivities started, and we walked the few blocks from our hostel to the Parque Central. There, we met up with a few of the other students from my exchange program and we sang the national anthem and watched some traditional dancing. But the real excitement started the next morning with a parade around the Parque Central which was absolutely jam-packed with people. And it was hot. I mean really hot. We met up with some other students there and we all chose a spot on the curb on one side of the road which we soon realized was in direct sunlight all morning. Awesome. But despite the heat, the parade was fun and I was glad to be able to share the holiday with my sister.

That weekend after my classes we traveled to a Manuel Antonio National Park, which is famous for its beautiful beaches and fearless monkeys.

We stayed at a cute little hostel just a short bus ride from the public beach. But the really nice beaches were inside of the park, which was about a ten minute walk from the public beach.
We also did a bit of hiking in the park, and all-in-all had a really great weekend.

Unfortunately we had to go back to Heredia for my classes on Monday morning. But, we made the best of our time and ate some good food, spent enough time together to get sick of each other, and even went to go see Sissy’s first movie in a theatre in over two years. I’d say it was a successful trip.



Paz y amor(sh)

No comments:

Post a Comment